jake

jake
Face Lazer as "Jake". Christening the inside sleeve of the Singing Spoons "Chedr?!?!?" cassette. 1988

Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Pete Townshend/Alex Van Halen String Bean Connection



Growing up and dreaming of being a musician/rock God enabled me to read a lot of shitty music magazines. I was fascinated by some of the hair metal mags such as Circus and Hit Parader. They weren't always promoting RATT and bands of their ilk when they started, but that's about all they had in their pages in the early to mid-80's. Pasty coked out morons with pointy guitars singing about dealin' with the Devil and shoveling as much of the aforementioned Dark Lord's dandruff up their hoovers adorned the pages of these magazines. Everybody looked like they were packing a Vlasic in their spandex. Spinal Tap in the extreme.
The antithesis to these magazines  in my small universe were OPTION and MUSICIAN. I found out about both The Replacements and Husker DU through Musician and they usually had some pretty good interviews. OPTION gave me Sonic Youth around their "Bad Moon Rising" period. After all Musician gave us the immortal review of GTR's first album which read simply "SHT". Whatever happened to Max Bacon?
I hear he's toiling in a GTR tribute band as Max Bacos. Get it?

To put a meandering story to bed....
I was reading in Musician a  SERIOUS story about Van Halen where Alex Van Halen was asked about hearing loss.
He said he never wanted to get as bad as Pete Townshend. He said you could walk up to Townshend and say "Hey Pete, I'm fucking your wife" to which Townshend would respond "I like string beans".
The end. 
Maybe this never happened, but that article has haunted me for over 25 years so please wear your earplugs.




No comments:

Post a Comment